Captain Washington Clifford (1825-1906) was born in Boothbay
Harbor, one of twenty-one children. He came to South Bristol in
1846 where he purchased a large parcel of land along West Side
Road and what is now Roderick Road. In the 1880s he built this
house, which was just south of his original home on West Side Road.
Washington built one cottage, probably in 1898,
(presently Shady Rocks on Roderick Road) as a rental
property and sold pieces of land to various people who
constructed most of the cottages that border Clifford's
He and his second wife, Mary Barker Clifford, lived
here for the remainder of their lives.
|Clifford House South Bristol, Maine
|The Story of Clifford House